Monday, February 1, 2010

Shrimp on the barby...

I had absolutely no idea what to make tonight! I looked through the cupboards and fridge several times. I stood there staring at everything but just wasn't inspired. It reminded me of all the times I've stood in front of the closet and couldn't find a thing to wear.

My husband saved the day by suggesting grilled shrimp. As you know, I keep frozen shrimp around at all times. This grilled shrimp is an easy, healthy and delicious go-to dinner.  It goes with almost any side dish and is always a hit!

Grilled Shrimp Skewers

1 lb shrimp (about 20-25 large shrimp); defrosted completely if frozen; deveined; shells and tails removed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2-2 tsp chopped garlic (depending on how garlicky you like it)
1/2 tsp chopped rosemary
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 small lemon
bamboo skewers

Rinse shrimp with cold water and dry well with paper towels. Place shrimp in a bowl. Add the olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper. Wash the lemon well and then zest it right into the bowl. Mix it all together and set it aside for at least a half hour.

Heat up the grill.

Skewer the shrimp and set on a plate. I fit about five shrimp per bamboo skewer. When your grill is very hot, place the shrimp skewers on it and turn down the heat to medium-high. Cook about 2 1/2 minutes per side with the lid closed. Plate and serve hot, warm or cold. Squeeze lemon juice over the cooked shrimp if you'd like. It tastes great without it as well.

Cool tools:
Chopped garlic in oil. I keep it in the fridge. I know freshly chopped garlic is best but this is a huge time saver and is ready to use.








Charcoal Companion CC5004 10-Inch Bamboo Skewers, Package of 100
  Bamboo Skewers

No comments:

Post a Comment